Howdy Pardners

Well, (such a deep subject for such a shallow mind) my blog experience is closing in on 6-8 months now. The winter here in New Mexico has been cold so I have not been able to work in my unheated upholstery shop. The weather is turning and warming up so I may be able to get back to submitting upholstery how-to's and projects soon. As you can read I am still going to the Universtiy of Phoenix and selling in my eBay store. Both experiences have had there challanges. I appreciate all of those (world wide) that take the time and find a tidbit of interest in my bantering. You all take care........Duane

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Collectibles I Have Found or Duane Has Been Rootin' Round Again

Yep, I have been rootin' round again. Kinda like an old pig snortin' round the trough. I have my favorite spots here in Albuquerque that I go in search of various "stuff" to peddle on eBay. Sometimes I am able to find some good stuff and other times all I find is a bunch of Ka Ka. Do you notice how much I have cleaned up my language since I started to get my edumacation? So when I decide to wander outside of the compound and endure the crazy ass drivers here in Albquirky I usually head to two or three spots where I have some fairly good success. Some ask "do you go to yard sales" and my reply is "hell no". I know that there are good deals at yard sales but I hate driving all over Gods creation lookin' for crap. Oh er ah vintage collectibles and antiques. So I go to a couple of different flea markets or antique stores and look at the stuff that other people have picked up after driving all over God's creation to find. I take my pen and note pad and wander around the store jotting down information about various things to take back home and do a little research on why the dealer was asking ten prices. They know me at these stores now so they don't follow me around asking why I am writing stuff down in my trusty little note pad. One time I told a gal that I was an undercover cop and was investigation stolen items. "Oh my" was her astonished reply "we don't allow dealers to sell stolen merchandise here ". As I peered into her anguished face I said in my most authoritative voice as I looked at my note pad "we shall see Miss". Fortunately the owner of the store knows me and clued her in. Her panties were starting to wad up a bit. You know a guy has to have a little fun once in a while.




I found this beautiful brass bell stand. The lyre shaped stand is beautifully etched with a flower and leaf motif. The stand is about 17 inches tall and in very good condition.



This Regal all metal coffee grinder is from all indications from the 1920's or early 1930's. This is back when this country made things that would last. That is why you find so much of this old crap ,er ah mumble mumble hurmph cough antiques and collectibles still around. The icons of industry at that time weren't a bunch of money grubbing, anti American bail out takiin' bastards. Manufactures at that time made things to last and had a concern about their customers. On unusual thing about this coffee grinder is the little tin receptacle cup. The handle fits into the little slot and catches just the right amount of coffee to make a pot. Most of the time the cups are long gone.



Here is an moldy oldie. A vintage, probably from the 1950's, thump activated oil dispensing can. Remember back when gasoline was 25cents a gallon and the attendant had a tie on and a white cap that would run out to your car and wash your window, check the air in your tires, check the water and oil levels? Then when he was through filling up your tank he would hand you some green stamps or some other kind of promotional gift. After all of that you would thank him and hand him a five dollar bill for filling up your twenty five gallon tank and then you would roar off in your 17 foot Oldsmobile that had enough power to provide electricity for half of the town that you lived in.  Boy those days are dust huh? Well this oil can is from that era. Wonderfully used with the dents and corrosion to prove it.



Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Oil Can

One thing about living in Albquirky is that there is a significant amount of railroad memorabilia around. Albuquerque and really what made AAlbuquerque is that the city was a central hub for the Santa Fe rail lines. Even though parts of where the rail repair shop and other areas of the rail yard are now a Super Fund site the city of Albuquerque has transformed that area into an attractive urban renewal site. This old oil can, which has stamped on the bottom" ToSf" is from those old rail yards. Wonderfully patinaed the can is a reminder of days gone by here in New Mexico.



AT & SF Handlan Coal Oil Can

This is another remnant of that bustling area in the history of Albuquerque. This is a can manufactured by Handlan of St Louis. This can is a great collectible for the railroad enthusiast.

Well that is all I have to show you today. I did go look at some other junk, er ah humph cough mumble antiques and collectibles today. Yes I took my trusty little note pad with me and have researched some items so I will be contacting the seller tomorrow to start the negotiations. Just how much do you pay for these fine examples of Americana?

Well until we meet again.
Happy Trails

Duane

No comments:

Post a Comment