Howdy Pardners

Well, (such a deep subject for such a shallow mind) my blog experience is closing in on 6-8 months now. The winter here in New Mexico has been cold so I have not been able to work in my unheated upholstery shop. The weather is turning and warming up so I may be able to get back to submitting upholstery how-to's and projects soon. As you can read I am still going to the Universtiy of Phoenix and selling in my eBay store. Both experiences have had there challanges. I appreciate all of those (world wide) that take the time and find a tidbit of interest in my bantering. You all take care........Duane

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Platt & Munk Animal Friends & Farm Animal Vintage Jigsaw Puzzles

You now me, well some of you are getting to know me. At least know me on this blog. Because I am the grouchy ol' fart, people person that I am this is probably about as close as you want to get. I want to share a "find" with you that I thought was kinda interesting and artistic. Now these items that I am going to share with you were made at a time when art was appreciated and children were kept entertained with doing something. Like putting a jigsaw puzzle together instead of spending countless untold hours in front of the mindless television or playing some sort of shoot 'em up video game. Which in itself is interesting due to the fact that we are discussing the subject of the effects of video games upon our society at the University of Phoenix. I will have an update of the outcome of that discussion in an upcoming post. Now back to the subject at hand.
 I came across a bunch of Platt and Munk children's jigsaw puzzles the other day. Like I have told you before I attempt to research most vintage items that I find to get a grasp on as much of the background of the subject as I can. That is one thing about the Internet is that it provides you with the ability to find out about "stuff" at the click of a button. What I found is that Platt and Munk were publishers of children's books. One series of books that they published was "Animal Friends" and "Farm Animals". These books were delightful. colorful picture books depicting different animals and their young ones. These books were published back in the 1940's. The artist for these books was C. M. (Clara) Burd who was a renowned children's book illustrator. Today her work is highly sought after because of her talent to combine color, shading and graphics to various children's themes. Platt and Munk used the illustrations from these two books to manufacture a series of children's jigsaw puzzles. That is what I am showing you here. One interesting thing about these puzzles is that the center pieces created a different design or outline of a cat, duck, star or rooster. To me and you may find also is that for one thing they ain't makin' these anymore and they really are a unique American piece of art. I hope you enjoy looking at them.






















You can find these collectibles and many other items in my eBay store.

Until we meet again.
Happy Trails

Duane

No comments:

Post a Comment