Howdy Pardners

Well, (such a deep subject for such a shallow mind) my blog experience is closing in on 6-8 months now. The winter here in New Mexico has been cold so I have not been able to work in my unheated upholstery shop. The weather is turning and warming up so I may be able to get back to submitting upholstery how-to's and projects soon. As you can read I am still going to the Universtiy of Phoenix and selling in my eBay store. Both experiences have had there challanges. I appreciate all of those (world wide) that take the time and find a tidbit of interest in my bantering. You all take care........Duane

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Passing of Maurice Lucas NBA Portland Trailblazer

One great thing about having a blog is that you can express yourself and it at times reaches the world. As I got up this morning (which is usually about 5:00 A.M. MDT) I read that Maurice Lucas had lost his battle with cancer. I never meet the man but I was living in Portland, Oregon at the time that the Trailblazers won the NBA championship. What a time that was. I would attend a Blazer game on occasion but that year you couldn't get even close to getting a ticket to the Memorial Coliseum. So when the Trailblazers started the playoffs television was blacked out in Portland and you would have to listen to the game on the radio. That team had that town buzzing.

During the games a bunch of us would get together and sit around a radio, drink beer, eat junk food and listen to Bill Schonely artfully describe the game. "Rip City" was on every one's mind. That was the year of Bill Walton, Bobby Gross, Terry Porter and there are others that I can't remember right off of the top of my head. then of course there was Maurice Lucas. How can anyone forget the plaid outfits that there coach, Jack Ramsey, wore. Of course in 1977 everybody was stylin'. It was a memorable and exciting time that I was fortunate to have been able to witness. Who can ever forget the non-fight that he and Darryl Dawkins got into. There was some dance moves goin' on there. If either one of them would have landed a punch there would have been a homicide investigation.

That Trailblazer team was beloved by nearly everyone in Portland. Unlike the more recent teams which seem to have been comprised by a bunch of thugs who have been referred to as the "Jailblazers". Of course I don't keep up with the Trailblazers today. That group of men were highly respected and were an active and contributing part of the Portland community. Maurice Lucas was a large part of that.

It is always difficult when you see a sports hero pass. Especially one that is younger than you. But they are only mortal men. I just wanted to take this venue to recognize his passing. Maurice is no longer shackled by the ravages of his illness and has gone on to that hard court in the sky. I also would extend my sympathies to any of Maurice's friends or family. I am sure that they will have a deep sense of loss.

Maurice Lucas
R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment