Howdy Pardners

Well, (such a deep subject for such a shallow mind) my blog experience is closing in on 6-8 months now. The winter here in New Mexico has been cold so I have not been able to work in my unheated upholstery shop. The weather is turning and warming up so I may be able to get back to submitting upholstery how-to's and projects soon. As you can read I am still going to the Universtiy of Phoenix and selling in my eBay store. Both experiences have had there challanges. I appreciate all of those (world wide) that take the time and find a tidbit of interest in my bantering. You all take care........Duane

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Collectible Books That May Be of Interest To You

Hello All. I appreciate you looking at my blog posts. I do hope that you find some interest and or use from them. I have posted before that I look for interesting books to sell in my eBay store AnuDirection. I feel that books may soon be a lost resource, in this country, someday. Not unlike newspapers, magazines and other printed material that is being lost through, what some would refer to, as progress. I hope that I don't live long enough to see that day but I am sure that my children will. To me books, particularly antique or vintage books seem to portray a simpler, more artistic and poetic time in our history. That is why when I am "out and about" scrounging in antique stores, flea markets and yard sales I look for interesting and unusual books. I don't know what it is sometimes but they (the books) seem to find me. I like to share them and I like to be able to put them into the hands of people that desire them. My intentions are not all altruistic either. I also like to sell them for a profit. After all I am a capitalist.



I came across this book the other day. Fly Casting by Gilmer G. Robinson
Mr. Robinson was the Dean of Men and assistant professor of physical education at Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The book was published and distributed by A.S. Barnes and Company in 1942. Complete with text and drawings on the intricacies of fly fishing. The vintage book is in very good condition.


Air Power by Asher Lee 1955 was published in Great Britain by Gerald Duckworth & Co in 1955. For those that keep up with military information it appears that Mr. Lee was the authority on German, Soviet and American air power in his day. The subject matter would be from WWII into the Cold War era. The book is in excellent condition.


I also search for unusual cookbooks. Here is one that is filled with 101 Recipes using Grandma's Molasses this booklet has recipes for every cooking and consumption use that you can think of. The manufacture of Grandma's Molasses claimed that it "Helps Satisfy Your Family's Hidden Hunger For Iron". Perhaps I should try one of these compelling recipes since all of my iron has turned to lead in my ass......Here is a recipe that you might want to try....1 cup milk....1 tbs molasses (Grandma's of course) and a dash of cinnamon , all spice or nutmeg......yummmmmmy





This delightful discovery was found at the bottom of a box of sheet music that I acquired at an auction. I was amazed at my discovery. The words and music were by Anice Terhune. Anice was better well known because she was the second wife of Albert Payton Terhune who was a renowned author in his day. The Sunnybrook series was compiled by Albert Terhune. Albertine Randall Wheelan provide the compelling art work for this wonderful book. Ms. Wheelan was better known because she was one of the early female cartoonists. Her work is highly sought out today. G. Schirmer published the book in 1910. You see it is books like this that we may never see again in this form.



This is a rare publication about the travels of John Coffer across America using a horse and buggy and living a simple lifestyle along the way. John is still today renowned for his work with tintype photography. He still lives off the grid and maintains a simple way of life.



This is not a book but I wanted to share this find with you. This may take some of my readers back in time. These are classroom photos of a morning and afternoon kindergarten class and a 1st grade class at Sierra Elementary School in 1961. I found several Sierra Schools mainly located in California. Some of you may remember class photo day. Lets see in 1961 I would have been 12 probably in 6th grade. If any of you recognize these photos (click the link and it will take you into the listing where I have close ups of all three photos) or if you attended Sierra Elementary please leave a comment and let me know.

That is all I have to share with you today. Today is Saturday and a beautiful fall day here in Albuquerque. I wish you all well.
Until we meet again
Happy Trails

Duane

No comments:

Post a Comment